Conjunctions Notes: Conjunctions are words that connect two or more words, phrases, clauses, or sentences. They are one of the most important parts of speech because they help in forming sentences that express complex ideas.
There are three types of conjunctions: coordinating conjunctions, subordinating conjunctions, and correlative conjunctions.
- Coordinating Conjunctions: Coordinating conjunctions connect two independent clauses or words of equal grammatical importance. The most commonly used coordinating conjunctions are: and, but, or, nor, for, yet, and so.
- The sun was shining, and the birds were chirping.
- I wanted to go to the concert, but I had to work.
- Would you like tea or coffee?
- Neither John nor Jane knew the answer.
- She was tired, yet she continued to work.
- He finished his homework early, so he went out to play.
- Subordinating Conjunctions: Subordinating conjunctions connect dependent clauses to independent clauses. Dependent clauses cannot stand on their own as complete sentences. Common subordinating conjunctions include: after, although, as, because, before, if, since, until, when, where, while, etc.
- I will call you as soon as I get home.
- Although he was tired, he kept working.
- We went to the beach because it was a sunny day.
- She went to bed early since she had to get up early.
- Before I go to bed, I always brush my teeth.
- Correlative Conjunctions: Correlative conjunctions are pairs of words that connect two parts of a sentence. The most common correlative conjunctions are: both…and, either…or, neither…nor, not only…but also.
- Both Sarah and Tom will attend the meeting.
- You can either have pizza or pasta for dinner.
- Neither the teacher nor the students were happy with the test results.
- Not only did she write the report, but she also presented it to the team.
Conjunctions are important in writing because they help to make sentences more complex and expressive. By using conjunctions, writers can combine ideas and provide a smoother flow of thought.
By Team Learning Mantras