Types of Hormones produced by Adrenal Glands: The different parts of adrenal glands secrete different kinds of hormones. For example- Hormones secreted by adrenal cortex are called Corticosteroids & adrenal medulla secretes Catecholamines. Corticosteroids include Glucocorticoids, Mineralocorticoids & Adrenal sex steroids. Catecholamines include Epinephrine, Norepinephrine & Dopamine.
Hormones produced by Adrenal Glands
- Glucocorticoids: It includes cortisol & corticosterone. These hormones have effects on glucose & protein metabolism.
- Mineralocorticoids: The main mineralocorticoid is Aldosterone. It helps in regulating the balance of sodium & Extracellular Fluid volume in the body.
- Epinephrine: It is also known as adrenaline. This is the hormone we refer to when we talk about the excitement we get on a roller coaster ride or watching a horror movie. This hormone immediately responds to any kind of stress. As it releases, the heart rate goes up and the glucose level increases in the body.
- Nor-epinephrine: These are also called noradrenaline. It helps us in dangerous situations as it makes the brain and body take immediate action. It is the highest when we are fully awake and the lowest when we are sleeping. When you can’t sleep at night due to some worry, you can blame it on this hormone.
- Dopamine: It is a naturally occurring precursor of norepinephrine. Dopamine is the hormone that is responsible for the feelings of pleasure, satisfaction, & motivation.
|JOIN OUR TELEGRAM CHANNELS
|Biology Quiz & Notes
|Physics Quiz & Notes
|Chemistry Quiz & Notes
By Team Learning Mantras