Compound Adjectives Notes: Adjectives are words that modify or describe nouns or pronouns. They provide more information about the characteristics, qualities, and attributes of the subject. Adjectives can be simple or compound. A compound adjective is made up of two or more words that work together to describe a noun. In this blog, we will be discussing compound adjectives and examples of how to use them in sentences.
Compound adjectives can be formed by combining:
- Adjective + Noun: When an adjective is combined with a noun, it creates a compound adjective.
- Time-saving techniques
- Blue-eyed girl
- Heavy-duty machinery
- Adverb + Adjective: When an adverb is combined with an adjective, it creates a compound adjective.
- Deeply-rooted beliefs
- Highly-intelligent student
- Fast-paced action
- Noun + Adjective: When a noun is combined with an adjective, it creates a compound adjective.
- Gold-plated watch
- Stone-cold heart
- Dog-friendly park
- Verb + Adjective: When a verb is combined with an adjective, it creates a compound adjective.
- Fast-growing plant
- Slow-cooked meal
- Well-behaved child
- Adjective + Adjective: When two adjectives are combined, it creates a compound adjective.
- Bright-yellow sunflower
- Short-tempered boss
- Soft-spoken gentleman
Compound adjectives can be hyphenated or written as separate words. For example, “time-saving techniques” can also be written as “time saving techniques.” It is important to note that hyphenation can change the meaning of a compound adjective. For example, “man eating shark” and “man-eating shark” have completely different meanings.
Compound adjectives can be used to make writing more concise and descriptive. They can also add specificity and precision to your writing. However, it is important to use them correctly and avoid overusing them in your writing.
In conclusion, compound adjectives are formed by combining two or more words to describe a noun. They can be formed by combining an adjective with a noun, adverb, verb, or another adjective. Compound adjectives can be hyphenated or written as separate words, and it is important to use them correctly in your writing. By using compound adjectives, you can make your writing more descriptive and precise.
By Team Learning Mantras